Thursday, July 8, 2010

We Need Eggs


This morning I had to drop my car off because the brakes were squeaking and another road trip is on the horizon. The plan was for Neeny to meet me at the car place and we'd take a walk. My head hurt just thinking about walking in this heat.

I climbed into her car and sank into the seat.
"I can't walk. It's too hot. I'm tired."
"I'm thinking we need eggs," Neeny said.

So, we went to Mollie's, a local eatery in Stroudsburg and tucked ourselves at a back table. We ordered eggs and french toast, two cups of tea, bacon, and a pancake with blackberries and peaches?

"I'll have one egg, please," I said to our waitress.
"She'll have two," Neeny said, "and so will I. We need eggs."

I can't remember all the stuff we talked about but at one point we laughed until tears were streaming down our faces. That's always good. I ate everything on my plate, plus half of the pancake which was really for Neeny. She didn't have a prayer with the french toast. And she didn't care. Hey! She encourages me to eat her food. Come to think of it, she encourages me, period.

I always tell my girls: count yourself lucky if you have one dear friend in your corner. But if you're at a back table eating eggs with her? Bliss.






2 comments:

  1. Mollies ..... one of my favorite places, mostly because of the memories that have been created there. I met my very dear friend, Greg in 1994. We were colleagues. He would eventually become my best man and my first daughter's godfather. We didn't know all of this upon meeting, but it would unfold that way. Mollie's was our tradition. We met there every Saturday morning. We did this for years. Every Saturday I would roll out of bed, freshen up, and head off to Mollies. I always brought the same things with me - wallet, phone, journal, pens. I arrived at Mollies first. Greg was always late, but that was okay. I enjoyed those moments of "alone time" before he arrived. It gave me the chance to sit, relax, sip coffee, and write in my journal. After doing this for several years, I entered the world of parenthood. The items that I took to my weekly breakfast date changed. I still brought the wallet, phone, journal, and pens. I added to that list an infant, some baby food, squeaky toys, rattles, etc. Our "table for two" changed to a "table for three". Greg and I still enjoyed our weekly breakfasts, and conversations, we just did it with my infant daughter looking on. One memorable morning my daughter fell from her chair while reaching for the crayons on the table. Her head hit the hard floor of Mollies restaurant, ambulances came, and we spent the day in the E.R. Sometimes, I guess, breakfast has its dangers. Well, eventually, our table for three changed to a table for four when daughter number two came along. Nothing got in the way of our weekly meetings. Greg knew, and he taught me, that friendships must be constant. Talk regularly. Share interests. Make it a point to stay connected, even if it's just for a hearty breakfast on Main Street. Greg has since retired from the education business and moved to New England with his wife. Our breakfasts have stopped. I still go, with my children, but it's not the same. He still knows the value of friendship and staying connected. There has been a "good morning" text message waiting for me when I awake in the morning every day for the past three years since he has moved away. Friends like these don't come around often. When they do, don't let them go. Stay connected, one way or another.
    Tom Trauschke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,
    What an inspired & beautifully written "comment", full of perfectly formed moment(s). I love "breakfast has its dangers", and so many other parts. Stay connected, one way or another. Yes. Thank you, thank you.
    ~ Bets

    ReplyDelete