Thursday, June 3, 2010

Main Street


I don't go downtown very much but I dropped Dad off at Ken's for a haircut this afternoon, and rather than drive home, I sat on a bench and watched the comings and goings on Main Street. Here are a few things observed from my ringside seat:

The lady in the black and white striped sweater with the lime green bag.

A teenage boy on a small bike with a girl draped over his shoulders from behind, somehow standing on the edge of the wheels. She hopped off and pretended to slap him, then she hugged him.

A guy with his black and white pit bull strolled down past The Anointed One's Salon, which is nestled between The Sherman Theater and an Insurance Agency. A few minutes later he strolled back and headed the other way. The dog's pink tongue was hanging out of his mouth.

A young man walked by in a wool cap with his skate board tucked under one arm.

A truck rolled by with a man in the passenger seat. He looked out and gave me a crumpled grin. He appeared to be missing a few teeth.

A pretty young woman walked by in high heels, swinging her hips all the way to her car.

It was a warm day. Fortunately, my bench was in the shade. Every now and then, a slight breeze passed over me. For a brief while, I had no place better to be; a front row seat to a whole lot of This Being Alive.

And it only cost me a quarter in the meter.


No comments:

Post a Comment