Sunday, July 31, 2016

a tiny story
















I was going to write about how Donald Trump makes me terribly anxious, or going camping, or being with all of my brothers. I was going to write about how we used to go to the nude beach  at the tip of Martha's Vineyard, make ourselves a shelter with my sarongs and other things...

stones and pieces of wood worked fine. 

We'd curl up in the sarong shade, ocean before us, blue sky, red cliffs ~

such freedom













But this is a tiny story about a girl I saw in a car. I decided to write this tiny story about a girl, maybe she was seven, who reminded me of how simple things can be. I was flying along at sixty-five mph on 287 South in New Jersey after dropping Claire off at my brother's in Connecticut. They were going camping for a week in Montauk. I was going home to an empty house, except for Chewy.

yippee!














I was passing a car, looked over, there was a girl with blonde hair, round eyeglasses, a purple shirt. I was going fast but this felt like a moment of space. A big yawn of a moment. I looked over, we saw each other, our eyes met - this was a second, right? Then,

she waved at me. 

I love that girl, her small kid hand lifted in gentle salute, how her wave carried me home.

That's the tiny story.

And this is a picture of a big bunch of orange carrots. 

xo b






4 comments:

  1. Here's waving at you, kid. (Said in my awful Bogie imitation.)

    Love,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to waving right back! Thanks so much for stopping by. love, b

      Delete
  2. Betsy, I love the views from your window on the world. I think I will look out my window with fresh eyes and try to really see...
    Love,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Suzanne, thanks so much for reading and dropping a note. Means the world. love, b

      Delete