Monday, March 4, 2019

March Forth!





















        Bird of Paradise by Claire Collins


March 4th, 2019.

It is my cousin's wedding anniversary which I always remember because when I asked, Why March 4th? She said, You know, March Forth! 

So, Happy March Forth!

March Forth, or skip, hop, gently walk, run? Blast Forth? Whatever your personal energy is telling you today. What will you do? For all my circling around (see dog trying to find the right spot to sleep), for all my stalling, and I am a master at the stall, I know the only way is action.

March Forth is an unofficial new year without all the weight of parties and resolutions.

The answer is in the doing.
The answer is in the doing.

Not in the wishing, wondering, waiting although most things, most creations have many beginnings. Much of my writing arises while sweeping, driving, washing dishes, taking a shower. Flashes of insight and ideas show up; titles to a piece, a blog idea, a ten-minute play, the short film I long to make - they come in like kids in a classroom, hands in the air, ooh! ooh! pick me.

Stalling is painful. Driving with one foot on the gas with the other on the brake is hard on the car. It takes a long time, if ever, to get where you're going.

The answer is in the doing.




For me, it's writing this after months (last post - August 4th) of excessive absenteeism. I have so many stories to tell - moving from east coast to west - just the drive across the country is a short story - I've been lost in my big changes - still want to interview everyone I know about change and how they do it because we all know it never ends, this change thing. Being in touch is so much better, not so lonely. Tell me one thing you've been up to, doing, feeling...

This is not about what you should've done, jeez. Talk about killing something before you get a spark going. My personal list of shoulda's would bury me. Enough of that. 

March Forth is today, a hand reaching out, a hug.

What's one thing you want to bring forth in your life today?

What can you March Forth with one small action, tiny baby step, beginning.

start here. 

If, like me, you're a staller because something's not quite ready, not exactly what you want to say or do, you will, like me, go months living with a low grade malaise of in-action, of not living with purpose. Don't even get into purpose. That's a rabbit hole if there ever was one. You, as my friend, Teri, says - You, are the purpose. Search no more. There are no study guides for what we're doing here though most days we walk around thinking we missed something crucial - the boat?

Not doing is a lost-ness, a suppression of your life energy, for me, a veil of depression. The lemons on the tree don't look yellow. Not doing breeds a dullness of spirit. It's a slow-beat down of the self.

We know the enormous satisfaction that comes from simply making the phone call, sending the email, writing a letter, having the conversation, finishing the project. These things don't have to be earth-shattering. Small steps, baby steps, begin, finish.

The answer is in the doing. 

For me, on this March Forth, my doing was to write (imperfectly) and hit publish.

xo b










We Are All in This Together by Michael Collins


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Betsy! Your words, that arrive with a warm embrace and familiar wisdom, are such a welcoming treat, a salve, a motivation, and a twinkle. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret! Thank you for leaving a note. It means the world, truly. Here's to more treats, salves, motivation, and twinkle. love. xo

      Delete
  2. Betsy. your words ring true, your heart bared open, you give us permission to be human, and inspire us to be fully, imperfectly human. Much love to you <3 kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, Thank you for stopping by to leave a note. Here's to permission granted for all of us to be fully, imperfectly human. Ain't life grand?! xo b

      Delete