Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Mrs. Klein and stuff about rain ☂












March 10, 2020

I'm back from a walk in the rain with Chewy, the big-eared dog. My pants are wet, my hair is wet (although I had an umbrella and a hat, I put my face up to the rain. Is it true that turkeys do that?)  I've lit some lovely sandalwood incense to counteract the wet dog smell - a curious combo of scents. The window in front of my writing desk is open and I see all the plants I've carried out to be in the rain.

rain
rain 
rain

Rain in Los Angeles is cause for celebration although earlier, the people at the Ralph's supermarket didn't look all that pleased in the parking lot. I, on the other hand, was laughing. I so wanted to do an imitation of Mrs. Klein, our junior high algebra teacher. She had a very loud, classically beautiful, New York whine. I loved Mrs. Klein, the way she faced the board but shouted out to the class behind her. People! Come on, People!

rain 
rain
rain

happy 

happy 
joy 
joy




















dog with plants on porch

This morning I woke with my Henny Penny anxiety over the virus (+ other things, of course) which is very scary and causing people to clear the shelves of toilet paper at the market. Trump has been enough to put more people on anti-depressants and anxiety meds since...I don't honestly know when. But holy smokes, are we supposed to walk around gripped with virus fear now because I've kinda been...gripped.

I was a second grade teacher years ago. I've been a dedicated hand washer forever.

Shout out to my teacher pals. 

PEOPLE! COME ON, PEOPLE!

wash your hands and sing Happy Birthday 2x repeat
stay home if you're sick
stop watching the news?

I was still in Henny Penny-dom this afternoon, the sky is fu*king falling, and then came the rain. Then I went out in the rain and took a long walk with the dog - in the rain. Back home, I stayed out in the rain and pulled weeds in the front yard.

Weeds surrender easily when it rains. Be like a weed.

rain
rain 
rain

Maybe it's not raining where you are. 
Or maybe it rains so much the sump pump never shuts off.
Maybe you don't like rain and want only sun, or snow, or fog.
Can you tell I like rain?

I know this: with all the fear and anxiety that life already generates (especially if you're a card-carrying member of the Henny Penny Club) it's really important to cultivate a little sanity.

Do something nice, calming, kind for yourself, and possibly others.

Maybe, like Chewy, it's going with something like the double dog bed-thing. 















Whatever brings you comfort and ease. 

xo b

No comments:

Post a Comment