Friday, June 19, 2020

Fight Peacefully
























Juneteenth 2020

This is my friend, Dora.

When I asked if she'd consider being a guest writer for Scratching on Paper - she said yes!

As a white woman, there's nothing in my life to compare to what Dora shares in this short piece which she originally posted on her Facebook page.

I am so very grateful, saddened, and deeply humbled to share her words.

As Dora writes, Let's keep fighting this fight peacefully and we will make a difference.  

Love you, Dora.

xo b
_____________________________________________________________________


Hey, for all those who have a problem with #blacklivesmatter and/or feel uncomfortable, it's time to educate yourself on racism and the privilege you have. Remember, it's a privilege to educate yourself about racism, instead of actually experiencing it. Just wanna give some examples that I and many black people have experienced and experience everyday. 

1. Being the only black Registered Nurse in your unit. Or even as a student in your courses. Representation matters people. And I don't understand how they can hire like 5 additional nurses after me and none of them happen to be black. SMH, I've experienced this at multiple organizations and let me tell you: we feel it and notice it, alright. 

2. Being called "nigger" or "coloured nurse" by patients.

3. I literally requested a Lyft one night, the driver took 1 look at my face and drove off. Two white men behind me saw it and were like "wow that ain't right". I was like stuff like this happens all the time here. And it wasnt like I had any communication with the driver before. I was waiting outside for him for a while and he arrived, looked at my face and sped off๐Ÿ˜•. Little did that driver know, I had just worked a 13hr shift, saving the lives of people who looked just like him. Except, I was able to do it without bias. 

4. Everytime I go to a parking lot in an affluent residential area (where my car is usually parked), I can see and hear the residents locking their cars 10 times to insure that I don't steal from them.

5. Getting followed around in stores CONSTANTLY. I remember being a kid and feeling like I straight up had to show my hands wherever I shopped just to get the managers off my back. I'll never forget the day I went to the shoe department in the mall, with my white friend. The manager greeted us as we walked in. We separated and she went to the aisle next to me. I kept feeling like I was being followed but whenever I turned around, there was no one immediately behind me. Uncomfortable, I left the store with her. Immediately following, she said " I can't believe that store manager was following you around and on your back like that. He was basically breathing down your neck". I said girl,  this is the life of black people everyday here in America. 

6. Oh and being told (as black women often hear) that I have an "attitude" whenever I advocate for myself and/or my patients & others.

Listen, if you made it this far, I appreciate you. I've been reading the responses to the murder of #GeorgeFloyd and #blacklivesmatter over the last few days and I see that many non-POCs don't believe that racism or white privilege exists. I felt the need to share to bring some awareness on these issues. Let's keep fighting this fight peacefully and we will make a difference.  Remember, silence is violence.✊๐Ÿฟ



No comments:

Post a Comment