Monday, May 13, 2013

Take Another Look



















Johnie Collins is 87 years old. [young.]

She is my mother-in-law
friend
traveler on the spiritual path

+

Michael's mom 

(and Dad, since her husband died too young, at 37, when he was five.)




















She raised five kids solo. 

She is a warrior of the highest order.

Last night over the phone, she said, 

Elizabeth! I don't know whence it came, but I am so happy these days, even with my crooked hands and wobbly legs. I don't think I've been happier.

She said,

Elizabeth, sometimes I tell myself, 

take another look. 

Maybe if I try seeing whatever is coming at me or whatever I'm moving into, maybe there's another way to see it.













I don't know whence she started speaking like a Quaker woman but it was all so fresh and alive, her happiness, so beyond the limits of the flesh, crooked fingers. Hearing her southern twang, after all these years in Southern California, receiving those small, potent gems from her was a great Mother's Day gift. 

I feel so needy for 
some kind of sign 
words of encouragement 
calmness
a mother's touch.

I was flooded by her. 

And still this morning, 
holding it close, 
a tiny bird in my hands.

take another look.


No comments:

Post a Comment