Friday, August 2, 2013

Being The Inspiration




























August 2. 2013


There are only two ways to live your life. 
One is as though nothing is a miracle. 
The other is as though everything is a miracle. 

- Albert Einstein

This is how my kid lives her life most days, even when she's sitting in the chair getting chemotherapy for the breast cancer that took her (and all of us) by complete surprise. But she's not allowing herself to be defined by this unexpected visitor. The morning of her last chemo she was at the track running two miles while

I was still in bed with my worry list.


When the sleepy receptionist at the Cancer Center asked, 

How are you today?

Jesse said, 

I'm great! How about yourself?

The receptionist flinched from the positivity. 
Her shoulders shimmied. 
I was watching. 

That's what I'm doing these days.

watching and listening.
watching and learning.

Everyone and everything is here to teach us something. 











Jesse's always been my teacher. we grew up together

These days she's offering a master class in

courage
joy
saying yes
saying no

buying the flowers



















resting when you're tired
laughing until you cry
taking hikes on a summer day





















~ being the inspiration

happy birthday, jess.

xo mom


4 comments:

  1. No comment seems appropriate now... as my eyes fill with tears...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words... Important words... Beautiful photos... Truly inspirational!... Happy belated birthday Jesse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading and sharing! xo b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rod Catapano (grodcat@verizon.net)November 25, 2015 at 1:33 PM

    Hi Betsy,

    I stumbled upon your blogs through facebook; we're all connected now.

    I just read this blog on Jesse's last day of chemotherapy. I hope she's well now and in remission. I can relate to what she has gone through.

    I too went through chemotherapy for lymphoma, in fact I had a treatment a year ago today. I know the feeling of having that unexpected, uninvited visitor intrude on my life. I also know what if feels like to be on the inside of the Big C. It's quite surreal. It's surely a personal experience. The thing that affected me most were the other folks I met during the treatments, some were in very bad shape other not so much. We all shared a commonality that was oddly comforting. I'm rambling, sorry. Reading this brought me back. I tell people its something I can now add to my resume and I can now check the box "yes" next to had cancer when filling out new doctor registration forms.

    I hope Jesse and your family are doing well.

    Roddy Catapano

    ReplyDelete