Thursday, December 1, 2011

Jolt Of Joy


























I don't know what to write. 


I suppose I could write about how I woke up this morning and made a conscious decision, a vow to myself, to smile all day. 


maybe not ALL day


Not in a fake way, 
just a turning up of the mouth way. 
Possibly even a big-ass grin way...


"Look, honey," I said to Michael.
He looked up from the paper.
"I'm smiling!"
"I like it," he said.


Even with my crooked front teeth, I told myself, SMILE ANYWAY.


Try it right now. It feels good, doesn't it?


Sometimes I catch myself in the mirror and wonder, 


What the hell is that woman thinking about? She appears to have something very serious on her mind, probably something really, really important... not likely


That's when I grin at myself. 


Hey you, slap a smile on your face, sister!


Doing that makes me smile more.


Out in the world today, I smiled at everyone and said, good morning and received many good mornings back from surprised strangers. 


One woman in a green paisley skirt said,"How are you?" and I said, "I'm just fine, thank you," then she said, "That's great," and I said, "Enjoy this beautiful day."


She kept on into the market and I smiled and put the groceries in the back of the car. A simple exchange. 


Free for the taking, or giving.


This reminds me of the time Jesse and I were driving home from Vermont. We decided to wave to everyone we saw; people walking down the street, rocking on front porches, flying by on the highway. 


It was a jolt of joy 


We'd wave, then most of the time get a wave back. 


good morning
smile
wave

1 comment:

  1. Hi Betsy! I'm smiling too, reading this! Thank you for this jolt of joy!

    ReplyDelete