Saturday, January 1, 2011

Set Them Sailing

















Our New Year's Day tradition is to go down to the Delaware river, write wishes on leaves and set them sailing downstream.  


Michael is focused; three wishes, three leaves. Claire, three or four. I, on the other hand, can't stop scribbling once I get going. This may be desperation on my part for fear of leaving anyone or anything out.


health, love, laughter, family time, freedom from worry, creative successes, money in the bank, let Owen learn to like the dog, watch over my kids, take care of my mother-in-law, keep Dad well,...leaf after leaf. 


The river was beautiful today; smooth, clear, gently flowing. We stood and watched our wishes float away while Chewy rolled in the ice at water's edge. On the hike back to the car, I picked up a piece of birch bark to write one more note with my bright blue marker...


to come into my own.



2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Betsy, I hope all of your wishes stay true.

    Kathrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to you as well! Peace and blessings...

    ReplyDelete