Thursday, April 14, 2011

After Every Heart

The morning phone call went like this:


"Hi Dad! How are you?"
"I'm very happy," he said.


That stopped me. I'm very happy? I can't recall the last time I answered how are you with I'm very happy. 


"Wow, Dad."
"I was telling my physical therapist," he jumped in, "I think her name's Paula. I was telling her about when Snuggy and I were young boys and we'd sing these little songs, maybe at Wednesday evening Bible class, or some other...Do you remember this one?"


And he burst out singing:


I've got the joy joy joy joy down in my heart
down in my heart, down in my heart
I've got the joy joy joy joy down in my heart
Down in my heart to stay!


By the end I was singing along, inserting WHERE? after every HEART because I know this song too. Dad taught us when we were kids. My brothers and I shouting the WHERE with a fervor, mingled with laughter, seeing who could sing in the loudest voice.

1 comment: