Monday, August 23, 2010

Fence Sitting
















I never would've seen these beauties if I hadn't backed the car into the driveway today (which I rarely do.) There they were in the misty rain...

Turkeys sitting on the fence in the middle of the day.

I've been tracking this group, well, not running around in my loin cloth kind of tracking, but watching them as they parade past my window most days.

On Friday I counted fourteen; two grown-ups and a dozen babies, strolling under the apple trees. Every time I see them, I get still. And hit pause.

It's a wonder to me how they were fence sitting like that; letting the world go by, waiting things out. Not going anywhere, not figuring anything out.

I know what you're thinking. They're turkeys.

But still.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this photo. I hear the occasional turkey calling early in the morning, find feathers on the empty lot next door, see a hen and a few chicks wandering through the woods, even caught a Tom fence sitting on the deck railing. BUT FOURTEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what it is about them, but they take my breath away every time I get to see them! I think, "the world's not that rocky if I've got wild turkeys strolling through my yard." ah. I'd never seen them on a fence. This was a first. Thanks for checking in. Keep your eyes open...

    ReplyDelete