Monday, May 2, 2011

Reindeer Games

























Now that I'm teaching yoga at a local spa four days a week, I never know who's going to show up. Especially for the 7:15 in the morning class. The women change from week to to week; all ages, shapes, sizes...and stories.


Lisa sat down on a mat. Mary arrived with a book.
"Have you ever practiced yoga before?"
Heads shook no.
"Would you like to join us?" I asked, nodding to Mary.
"I think I'll just observe," she said, clutching her book.
"That's fine. Okay, so right now, we're simply breathing. Let's sit up, long lovely spine. No forcing, just noticing the rise and fall of the breath."


The room grew very still. I counted three breath cycles before cracking one eye to check on Mary. She was sitting on the bench, looking like someone who wants to jump in the pool, come to the party, join in the reindeer games, but wasn't sure how. 


"You could sit and breath with us." I said, "If you want."


Mary left her book on the bench and came down onto a mat. 


Now there were three of us, eyes closed, breathing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment