Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Hand of Ethel


I was on my way to teach yoga, windshield wipers thunk-thunking, when three baby turkeys, 1 2 3 scurried across Chipperfield Drive and up the steep hill leading into the woods.

First thought: Why are those birds walking and not flying?

Second thought: Oh my God! Oh my God! Hurry hurry, come on you guys, you can do it.

Third thought: Thank you, *Ethel, I needed this.

It was five seconds tops. But in that breath, I felt the hand of Ethel, well, actually it was her long, slender finger, gently take my face and turn it so I could see what was right there in front of me; three miniature miracles that would've fit in the palm of my hand, doing the twenty yard dash across the wet road to get to the other side.

* Read "Call It What You Will" 3.29.10

No comments:

Post a Comment