Monday, June 14, 2010

A Note from Joy


I had a hankering last fall to take yoga directly to teachers, so I sent some emails, made a few phone calls, and with nary a hitch, started teaching weekly classes at three elementary schools close by. Three times a week, I showed up at the end of the school day, mat in hand, to lie down and breathe with people...who quickly became my yoga family.

My students, comprised of teachers, instructional aides, and student helpers (like Joy) would come in, stretch out on their mats, and often, sigh heavily. And breathe. The room would grow quiet. Then, slowly we'd move, and stretch, and breathe.

(Right now, while you're reading this, stop. Take a deep breath. Exhale.)

Most of these students had never tried yoga before, thinking like a lot of people, that yoga was either too weird, too hard, or they were just not cut out for it. But the ones who tried it, stayed. Like Joy.

Joy sent me this note over the weekend. I was pleased to hear she was practicing at home, and trying out a new yoga prop...


Hi Betsy,
Just a short note to let you know that there is something other than chairs and blocks that can be used for props. Large black dogs ( in my case named Peanut) make great props when you are squatting and trying to balance on your toes and start to tip. She was just the right height sitting down for me to use to balance myself. She was very patient about the whole thing even though she had no clue what I was doing :)
Hope you are having a great weekend.
Joy

Yoga translated from Sanskrit means: union with Self, including a large black dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment