Thursday, June 2, 2011

Turtle Medicine

When I see an animal more than once in a day I think, 


is there a message for me? 


Like my dear friend and fellow writer, Katie, I welcome signs and guidance from all givers:


the night sky
a kiss
a tribe of turkeys
horoscopes 
feathers at my feet
an old-fashioned letter in the mail
a turtle plodding across my path. 


Yesterday I had three turtle sightings.
The first was a huge snapper sunning in the grassy area near our lake. The second was slowly (but steadily!) traveling across the country road as I was driving to pick up Dad for a doctor's appointment. And finally, Washington, the red-eared slider, who lives in a tank in Claire's room.


With the air still thick at ten-thirty last night, (we were laying around like cats with our tongues out), I looked up turtle in my Animal-Speak book and read some snippets to Michael. 


Passing on some turtle medicine for this Thursday ~


TURTLE


Keynote: 


motherhood, longevity, awakening to opportunities


As a group, turtles are more ancient than any other vertebrate animal...a great deal of mythology exists in regard to the turtle. In the Far East, the shell was a symbol of heaven, and the square underside was a symbol of earth. The turtle was an animal whose magic could help you unite heaven and earth within your own life.


In Nigeria, the turtle was a symbol of the female sex organs and sexuality. To the Native Americans, it was associated with the lunar cycle, menstruation, and the power of female energies...


Turtle is the symbol of the primal mother.


If turtle has shown up in your life, it is time to get connected to your most primal essence. Go within your shell and come out when your ideas are ready to be expressed. It is time to recognize that there is an abundance out there for you. It doesn't have to be gotten quickly or immediately. Take your time and let the natural flow work for you.


*Animal-Speak by Ted Andrews


~ turtle by claire

1 comment: