Monday, August 15, 2011

I Thought Of You





















I am not here. 


But my brother, Rob, his daughter, Reeve, and Claire are [without us this year]...wading through their campsite on this Monday morning. Shades of our *camping experience last summer at Hither Hills State Park in Montauk, NY where I managed to post a blog every day while living in a tent. 


I was fervent in my dedication.


Yesterday was a wash; I was not fervent. 


I mustered the energy to teach a 7:15 am yoga class where we lay on our mats in savasana, breathing along to the steady drumbeat of rain. 


I came home, 
walked Chewy, 
and quietly crawled back into bed. 


And stayed there. 
All day.
Almost. 


Around three in the afternoon, Michael and I donned raincoats and took Chewy out to throw him a tennis ball. I pulled weeds. Michael threw the ball. 


Chewy, 
wet, smiling dog
skidding across the grass
green ball in mouth. 


The rain fell, 
a steady veil, 
unraveling from the sky.


Everything, a deep green.


A bright green leaf stuck to my red garden clogs. 
I wanted a picture but it was raining too hard. 


See wet green leaf stuck to bright red garden clog.


Yesterday I was fallow? 


I never showed up for This Being Alive. 


Rather than force myself to write, think, create 


~ I did next to nothing.


Wait. Not true. 


I did come to the computer, 
more than once, and stared at the screen. 
And thought what to write? 
then went back to bed. 
And read. 
And napped. 
And lay across the bed horizontally, 
just to change things up. 

At 8:30 pm, I sat one last time, staring at the screen. 


I thought of you ~


blew a kiss, 


then climbed back into bed 
with
a book
cup of tea 
and the rain.

It was that kind of day.


How was yours?


*Read "Salt Air" (and other posts from that week) July 13, 2010


3 comments:

  1. Penelope Primrose!

    Always lovely to hear from you.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment.

    ~ Bets

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were always an amazing person to be around, sounds like the experience of being in your space is better than ever. Reading your posts make me feel very happy to be alive and to see the world through your far-too-deep-for-your-own-good eyes. You are very much your mothers' daughter and that is a gigantic compliment.))))) xoxox

    ReplyDelete