Monday, August 29, 2011

A Life Of My Own



















After all these years, I still get the itch, 
right about now, to set up my classroom. 
It can't be helped; it's in my fat cells.


The urge to staple red and orange leaves to the bulletin board, sharpen a fistful of #2 pencils, 
prop up big bear by the bookcase, 
fill the crayon bin to the brim, 
lay out journals for emerging writers ~
is still alive.


Some of my dearest friends were second graders. 


During my most recent excavation of papers, I found a newsletter from 1995 that our class put together.


We called it:


FRIENDS
A CLASS NEWSLETTER
2-J
MARCH 1995
VOL. III 


The theme for Vol. III was When I Grow Up.


This piece is from Anna, a yellow-haired, bright-faced girl from a large Russian family.


When I Grow Up


When I grow up I will travel to China and Russia. They are my favorite places in the world. The second thing I want to do is have a husband and kids. The third is to have a house that is blue and has yellow doors, windows, and has a lot of furniture. Like pink couches and gray walls. I would like to have a life of my own.


By Anna Sinistsky


Here's to Anna, pink couches and a life of her own...

No comments:

Post a Comment