Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Did I Mention The Lifeguards?

























So, here we are. December first. Except it feels like we're smack dab in the middle of monsoon season in PA. Gusty winds, sheets of rain. I should get in the kayak and paddle around the yard. Get in a little upper body work-out, maybe. Upper body work-out? Lifeguards? Hmmmm...


Did I mention the lifeguards? 


I can't believe I didn't write one damn thing about the lifeguards when we were camping this past July. Here I am, just now bringing them up. Funny how the writing process works. You know, how one thing leads to another? 


December rains, camping, lifeguards, male bodies. 


Connect the dots.


Every morning, I'd see this guy doing push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups; all kinds of muscle-crunching, twisting activities. I'd watch out of the corner of my eye, scan the surf for wave size, then bike back to our campsite. Peddling up, slightly out of breath, I'd say something to Michael like, Hey, have you seen the lifeguards, honey? Man, do they have a work-out. He'd look at me, checking for any drool that might be gathering at the corners of my mouth, then get back to battening down the hatches of our tent in anticipation of the next rain storm. 


"That's my girl,"he'd say, "Somebody's gotta keep an eye on the lifeguards."

No comments:

Post a Comment