Thursday, December 9, 2010

If You Have A Need

























Do you have trouble asking for help? Do you walk around muttering under your breath that everyone in your family is a no-good, do-nothing bum because they're all taking care of their own needs just fine but don't notice yours? Do you feel like things don't get done unless you take the bull by the horns...?


I do.


When this woe is me thing has me looking like the frozen rhodadendron out my window, shoulders all scrunched up around my ears, I'm in trouble. It's not my job to carry the weight of the world (or my family). So why do it? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, drop me a line. But if this has a familiar ring, you know how painful it can be.


I can hear Dr. Phil now:


Do you think people are mind-readers?


Well, duh. Yes!


(Imagine loud buzzer noise.)


The answer is no. People are not mind-readers. Most often we must tell them what we need. 


Honey, would you mind watching the dog (= new baby) while I go to a yoga class? 


No problem.


Really?


Dad, will you take care of the dishes in the sink?


Sure.


Oh.


Seems like a simple equation, don't you think? (So what if it's taken me decades to figure this out.) 


If you have a need, speak up. 


Ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment