Thursday, December 16, 2010

Help Me To Remember


A Thanksgiving Prayer
Oh, God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work, help me
to remember the jobless;
When I have a warm home,
help me to remember the homelesss;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer;
And remembering, help me
to destroy my complacency
and bestir my compassion.
Make me concerned enough
to help, by word and deed,
those who cry out
for what we take for granted.
- Samuel F. Pugh


I asked a young woman waiting in the long line of cars on Washington Street, What's happening this morning?
She said, "We're in line for Christmas food from the Salvation Army food pantry."
"Christmas food?" I said.
"Yeah," she said.
There must've been fifty cars.
"Okay, well, take care and Merry Christmas!" I said.
"You too!" she said.


I still have a lump in my throat.

How about this?

For every sweater, gadget, or I-tunes card we gift to someone this season, let's gift a can (or two) of food to a local food pantry. 




No comments:

Post a Comment