Sunday, March 14, 2010

An Untroubled Spirit


So, it's been a crazy weekend. On Friday, Dad ran into a telephone pole because his blood pressure was like twenty over ten and he ended up in the hospital for a couple of days. The good news is, he had lots of people to talk to and got fed three times a day.

After two days of keeping it all together, I had a good weep after dropping him off at his house on the mountain. It was one of those moments where you're weeping and watching yourself weep, at the same time. All while driving a motor vehicle, which I was extra cautious about since I got a look-see at the cracked telephone pole that Dad had hit on Friday.

Anyway, tonight I ran away from home. I didn't go very far, only as far as the crow flies to the Deerhead Inn in the Delaware Water Gap. If I could figure out how to "link it" for you, I would, but it's late and I've had two glasses of wine, which is more wine than I've had in quite a while, so just go to www.deerheadinn.com to find out about great jazz and good food...and really nice people like Mary and Jenna, and Diane...and Denny, who's still healing from his new hip and is home watching PBS, maybe. Gary, yet another nice person, showed up and sat down next to me. We whispered about stone walls and how his mom and brother died two weeks apart (years ago). Gary said, your Dad's alive! You're alive! It was good to be reminded of that. We were talking while the music was playing. You're really not supposed to talk at a jazz club when the music's going on, but if you whisper, it's okay.

FYI: If you're a woman, the Deerhead is one of those places you can go by yourself and be just fine. Which is how I ran into Bonnie, my daughter, Jesse's, kindergarten teacher, (Jesse's twenty-eight!), and another woman, Gail, who moved up to PA to take care of her grandchildren. To top it off, tonight's music was a group of women called Three Spirit; they were soulful and joyful and... Okay, so women rock.

I've had my cup of tea and curled up with Claire in bed for a few minutes. I grabbed this quote off the fridge and thought I'd pass it on for this Sunday night. Even though I don't always practice it, I try...

The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are. ~ Marcus Arelius



No comments:

Post a Comment