Monday, March 15, 2010

What More Could I Ask For?


Dear Ms. Jackson,

I thought it would be boring at first, but it ended up being fun and unboring.

- Jack Reilly

I received this note from Jack, a seventh grader, whose class I visited last Thursday. It was a drop in the bucket kind of *day, forty minute classes of quick writing and improvisational theater games with kids I'd never met. But I gotta say, we definitely jumped in the river for those forty minutes. There's that river again. Some kids weren't sure if they even wanted to jump in with me; slightly manic, stand-up comic-ky woman who's nuts about writing and speaking up for yourself...But jump they did.

I remember Jack. His hair hung over one eye a little. The moment he sat down he wore a look that said, "Go ahead, try to make me like this."

Unboring? What more could I ask for?...


* See "Call Me Bubbles"


1 comment:

  1. You're right - What more could you ask for?

    Such a simple comment that most teachers would dismiss (and freak out about the improper grammer - OMG!) but it was a real, honest reaction in his own words. And that's what's matters.

    I echo Jack's compliment...you are very unboring, and so is your work!

    ReplyDelete