Monday, March 22, 2010

Like Breathing


It's been over three weeks now since I began writing, This Being Alive. It takes three weeks to seal a new habit, right? Seal?

Begin. Start. Make a go of. Just do it. No matter what.

Like breathing.

This little gem from Abigail Thomas' book is one of many quotes I have stuck on the bulletin board over my writing table. It reminds me all the time to drop my shoulders and just write. The stories always tell themselves.

"I didn't start writing until I was forty-seven. I had always wanted to write but thought you needed a degree, or membership in a club nobody had asked me to join. I thought God had to touch you on the forehead, I thought you needed something specific to say, something important, and I thought you needed that all laid out from the git-go. It was a long time before I realized that you don't have to start right, you just have to start."

~ from A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas

So, maybe for you it's taking up judo, or baking bread, or trusting yourself. Here's to starting, and then staying with it. Just because.

Thanks for reading...support a writer and share this with a friend.

xo bets

No comments:

Post a Comment