Tuesday, March 23, 2010

First Amendment Blues


Lately I'm not getting the whole bumper sticker thing. I mean, I love teach peace. I feel warm and fuzzy when I see make love, not war. Granted, it's been awhile since I've seen that, but you have to admit, it's one of the best ever. Ones like My child is an honor student at Hopeful Times Junior High, get on my nerves. I'm not exactly sure why, but they do. Sorry, parents.

Today I was walking through a parking lot when I had this sticker sighting. The RSU decal was my first clue: RSU, Redneck State University. Never heard of it, but what do I know? Then my eyes latched onto, How 'bout I put my carbon footprint up your liberal ass?"

I quickly glanced over my shoulder to make sure some guy wasn't heading my way with a boot aimed at my butt.

I'll never hold hands and sing Kumbaya with the driver of that particular vehicle. I know what you're thinking but, nope. It wasn't that baby blue Beetle you've seen driving around town. But I would like to ask him, or her, what they're so pissed off about. The sad thing is, that bumper sticker was fairly mild compared to some I've seen lately. Call me naive, I just don't get it.

But, here's to the First Amendment; the good, the bad, and the ugly.




No comments:

Post a Comment