Thursday, September 9, 2010

Arms Wide Open
















It's my birthday. And I'm still in bed, at noon. Decadent, I know. But I feel unusually peaceful, so I say bring it on. I've surrounded myself with books, journal, this computer, the phone, a cup of tea, Owen the cat, a box of colorful markers, magazines, tape, and scissors; my grown-up version of preschool.

Outside, I see trees and green and wind.

I've been in bed all morning. It's crazy. No laundry, no sweeping, no worrying. I can't get over how happy this small act of self-care is making me feel. Michael brought me tea. Claire laughed while I tried to write a note for school about picking her up early. It took me three tries. Can you say neurotic? Dad was whistling in the kitchen. I took off from bus stop duty and let Michael take Claire. Hugs all around. I stayed put.

A little after nine, I spoke to Jesse about dropping Elizabeth off at her first day of preschool. Elizabeth was a happy, excited camper. Jesse was in tears.
"I feel like I've spent my time worrying about other things rather than being with her," she said.
"Not true," I said, "But most Moms go through that. It's okay. Be sad, then let go. New things are here. There's a lot of letting go. Damn. Take a deep breathe."

And isn't that the truth? I've spent way too much time worrying about other things. But I've been present too. And I know that this beautiful life is best lived with arms wide open, fearlessly loving, rather than focusing on losing. It's a practice.

Like learning to tend to myself, my one true birthday wish. That, and peace on earth. I don't need new shoes. Nope. But I do need to tend to myself, with deep kindness. And then take it a step further...& allow others, the people who love me just because, to tend to me as well.

The sweet part is this: When I finally leave this birthday bed nest, and I have to... I need to pick Claire up, remember? I get to carry this newborn tender-ness out into the world, as a peace offering to you.

xo b

3 comments:

  1. betsy, you floor me everyday with your graceful eloquence. i feel a deeper sense of peace in my life just by READING your words! you've got some powerful energy girl, thank you for sharing it. i hope you had a marvelously rejuvenating birthday, you are most deserving of it. so much peace and so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for checking in! Two days after my morning in bed, I'm thinking, we all should be doing that at LEAST once a week. Let's start a small revolution, Deep Rest, Inc.

    I'm there!

    Always love to hear from you, biz2 & sweet Katie...Peace out, xo b

    ReplyDelete