Friday, September 10, 2010

Did I See A Bouquet?

















How'd you sleep? is Claire's favorite question in the morning.
She asked her teacher every day last year.
I'm not sure what his answer was.
Mine is usually, "Pretty good, honey."
I know it's middle of the road; but it works whether I've slept like a lamb, or wrestled at three am. with one of the many, who live in my head.

After me, she taps Michael, always in mid-yawn, reaching for his first cup of coffee.
"How'd you sleep, Dad?" she says, leaning into him for a hug.
"Pretty good, Claire," he says, wrapping his arms around her, another huge yawn.

This morning I heard Claire, upstairs, surveying her grandfather.
"How'd you sleep, Pop?" she asked.
"What?" he said.
"Did you sleep okay last night, Pop?!"
"Did you see a bouquet?" he said.
"NO, POP. SLEEP! DID YOU SLEEP OKAY!?"
"Did I see a bouquet?" he said.

1 comment: