Monday, September 26, 2011

Only Human


























Up early, ahead of the alarm clock by an hour. 5 am? Aware of how I've been doing the what might have been dance, questioning myself about work choices, roads taken. It's monkey mind, not gentle or kind, not helpful in the least, but very human. 


I'm only human, Ann said, leaning against my car after yoga. She was eating an apple. The sky was part light, part dark. We were talking about our past lives, about things we did, our families, our lives as young girls and younger women. 


Some memories made us screw up our faces. 


Why did I do that? Why didn't I do that? 


This line of questioning is like walking around the same track over and over. You get the same results, come to the same conclusions. Your head hurts when you keep beating the what if/why drum.


The past is finito. 


Today is right now. As I type this, as you read this...


breathe.


September 26


Just for today; 


Am I going to relive my past or create my present?


How much time do you spend thinking about what might have been? Right now make a commitment to focus on this day, this asana, this moment.


- Judith Hanson Lasater (A Year Of Living Your Yoga)



No comments:

Post a Comment