Saturday, October 16, 2010

Karme Choling













This is *Karme Choling, a Shambala Meditation Center surrounded by 700 acres of mountain forest in northern Vermont where I've come to spend a week deepening my writing practice and learning to meditate with the fine writer/teacher, Susan Piver. 


My journey from Pennsylvania began on Thursday afternoon with a stop-over in Portland, Connecticut where I spent the night with Nan, dear family friend, in her 19th century home. That night, I slept in Nan's girlhood bed, tossing and turning with anticipation and anxiety for the second leg of my trip on Friday. 


Hugs all around I headed north on 91 through Connecticut, Massachusetts, and into Vermont. The sky was clear but as I drove north the weather turned; rain blowing horizontally, winds pushing the car, road signs like scarified pavement, caution/ strong crosswinds ahead, ponding on highway. Ponding on highway?


I drove and breathed, ticking the miles off while listening to Garrison Keillor tell tales of Lake Wobegon. It's just rain, I told myself, followed by whose idea was this to leave my family for a week? Vision quest, my ass.


Finally, Exit 18, Barnet/Peacham. Off the exit, a half a mile up, I turned onto Patneaude Lane, crossed over a flooded bridge and drove up the dirt road. Dear God, what if I get trapped here?


Karme Choling rose up to greet me. I parked the car and promptly wept with relief, head on steering wheel. 


You can go home if you hate it.


By dinner I felt the shift, over the "new kid at camp" syndrome, I was laughing with new friends and settled into my room. Before bed, I stood outside under the night sky and thought, SeeYou can do this. Hell, you might even enjoy it.


"Mom! Dad and I are capable," Claire told me on the phone.


Me too.


(imagine a small tent over the "e" in Karme and the two dots over the "o" in Choling)

2 comments:

  1. I hope your week is wonderful and the drive home uneventful.

    To render the accented characters you described in HTML, you would use ê (lower case circumflex e) and ö (lower case umlaut o). E.g., Karmê Chöling = Karmê Chöling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, oddharmonic, for checking in. It's always a gift to see a new face, hear from a new voice. I appreciate your instructions very much. (I will try to figure it out later.) For now, blessings to you.

    ps. feel free to put your beautiful picture on the This Being Alive page. It's a lovely tribe.

    ReplyDelete