Monday, December 18, 2023

like a lemon tree

 










December 18 • 2023

I never thought much about lemons before moving to California. Sometimes we'd cook with them, but it wasn't an overwhelming lemony life back in Pennsylvania. 

I always liked lemons. 

They smell good.

They're pretty and feel good in your hand. 

These days I have a very lemony life. There are two lemon trees in our backyard that keep on giving, season after season. And because of all the good rain last winter, the trees are bearing big fat lemons, holiday lemons. 🎄🍋 If I bring my hands to my nose, they smell like lemons because I've been slicing + juicing a counter full as evening falls. Instead of using the handle thing that presses down on the lemon, I used my hands. This reminded me of working with clay on a potter's wheel, the spinning and pressing down. And just like when I took ceramic classes, today's juicing the lemons fest filled me with the same meditative quality as wet clay under my hands. That quiet pressure in the palm of my hands.

...Michael said, You smell like a lemon tree.









love,

XO b

2 comments:

  1. LEMON LOVER here. Used to peel and eat like an orange. My weird! Fun fact: In about 6 hours and 2 weeks it will be 2024. Love you, Bets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lemon lover! That is some serious lemon love to peel and eat like an orange. Love that weird. I might have to give it a try. Thanks for the fun fact! Love you, Phyllis. XO

    ReplyDelete