Friday, December 1, 2023

Live from Culver City


 










December 1 • 2023 

Claire and I met in Culver City today. 

The Culver City I'd always hear about on NPR when I lived on the east coast. Live from Culver City! Today's field trip included a bookstore, meandering into a couple of shops where a small mug might cost you $56, then a bite to eat at Vida Cafe. 

No mugs were bought.

Claire took our picture in front of the Culver City City Hall. She's been taking pictures of city halls for a few years now. Philadelphia, Portland, Maine, Seattle, Carmel-by-the Sea ~ city halls in big and tiny towns. Now, Culver City's in the bag.

On the drive, I took Topanga Canyon down to the Pacific Coast Highway. At the light where canyon meets ocean, a man was sitting on the ground with a sign asking for help. For a strange moment, he looked like a tree branch, all dusty and worn out leaning against the light pole, cars passing. The ocean sparkling in front of me. Sparkling. 

Along the coast I saw a man by his car. He was older, in good shape, and looked like he'd been taking a morning swim. He was wearing blue trunks, the kind Lloyd Bridges wore on Sea Hunt back in the day. I remember Lloyd's trunks having a kind of belt, but I might be making that up.












Over lunch, we talked about practices we've cultivated. 

Ones that help us stay somewhat sane in this nutty world. 

Drawing

writing

collecting seeds

plant-tending

walking. 🐌

Writing has been my main squeeze practice forever. After listening to a conversation with a poet on a podcast about not worrying so much about "pat endings" or having your story/poem/art figured out before you even start, I decided to get out of my way and write a small post every day this month. 

A December writing project/practice. For the merry fun of it. 🎄

Put down my perfectionist, fussy, overthinking tendencies and tell a few simple stories.

Pesky ego be damned.

Love ♥️

b 🐝


12 comments:

  1. What a great blog. So true. I love that you are writing everyday and not letting your ego get in your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading + saying hello. Mouse steps, right? XO

      Delete
  2. Your writing is just so full of magic and love. I adore it. Your attention to the small and beautiful things in life always leaves me inspired, and this is no exception. In fact, I'm going to immediately start my own December practice. And, finally, let's clear things up...Lloyd Bridges did have a gadget belt. A very cool one! Thanks for the gift of your words. Until next time, keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bill, So happy to see you here. I so appreciate you stopping by to read and say hello. And especially for clearing up the Sea Hunt bathing suit biz. Yes to your own December practice. Can't wait to see what you create. Namaste. 🎄

      Delete
  3. Anything by Betsy is pure j♥️Y to read.
    Always jogs the mind, tugs at heartstrings, and reminds own the exhale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely! Thanks for reading...and for this sweet note. XO

      Delete
  4. Another beautiful and inspiring post! Thanks for reminding me of the opportunity to practice sanity! 💜💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello love, Practice sanity, maybe even serenity? XO

      Delete
  5. "No mugs were bought" Love that! Love to you both.🥰❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, Absolutely no mugs were bought.🙃 xo Love, B

      Delete